Saturday, May 29, 2010

Triathlon 2010 season starts

Today I raced in the Combat Triathlon in Texas City. It's a 300 yd pool swim, 15 mile bike ride on a very flat road (one hill), and a 3 mile run, again, very flat. We lucked out because the wind was nice to us today.

This was my 3rd shot at the Combat triathlon. This year, I had two friends race also! This was their first triathlon. They did great, I did great! And, I just can't tell you how excited I am to have these two friends to do triathlons with and accompany me in training!! It makes such a difference to have like-minded friends doing the same thing!! I have done most all of my races by myself. This year I have been so lucky to have Sean do the half marathon with me & have friends in this triathlon business with me.

A picture before the race. From left: Glyssel, me and Krista



This race was eventful for me. As soon as I kicked off the wall in the swim, my timing chip fell off & I had to stop to get it. After I stopped the swim, I had to put it back on. That slowed my swim time. On the bike, I missed the water carriage & ended up dropping my water bottle and running over it! Thankfully I did not get off balance or fall off. Then, at the bike dismount, another competitor ran his bike right into me! LOL! The run was uneventful :-) Krista was 70 seconds behind me on the start & I knew she was going to pass me on the bike, I just knew it (she rode the MS150), so, I really pushed myself to not get passed by her in the race & I didn't. That was my small victory. I should have pushed myself on the run a little more. LOL!
Me finishing the race:

Me and my boys after the race:

Me and the girls post-race:



And, a first for me! I placed in my age group in a triathlon! I can hardly believe it myself. I got 3rd place. Krista got 2nd place....beating me by 7 seconds! An awesome situation! I actually had to hang around after the triathlon for the awards presentation! The best moment of the whole time was when Stephen stated, "way to go Mommy" in his cute, cute little voice as I was bringing my plaque by to our seat in the bleachers. Everyone "ahhh"ed at his cuteness!! I was so thankful that Sean committed his morning to supporting me! What a great husband!

I also need to give a shout out to Stephanie Knea and her whole family for coming out to watch the race!! What a wonderful friend! And, it's because of her we have pictures! And, Glyssel did pictures too. I didn't think to bring a camera. LOL! That will teach me.



I look forward to the next race gals!! Well, mostly ;-)

No comments: