Tuesday, May 06, 2014
ACL reconstruction and Meniscus Repair--the week after
I had my surgery on Thursday, May 1st, 2014.
I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am for a surgery time of 7:15.
The night before and the morning of I was instructed to take a shower with a special soap they gave me to try and prevent infection. Upon arrival, I was asked to do another self sponge bath with special towels they gave me.
When I got there, I had to put on the craziest hospital gown on I have ever seen. It was really heavy & had a tube to hook up to it that blew air into my gown at the temperature of my choice to help me stay comfortable. I was hot, so, I opted for cool air.
I had felt pretty calm going into surgery-something that can only be explained as proof that prayer works. I stayed pretty anxiety free, but did feel stress with the questions that came on. The anesthesiologist was really nice and even a little funny--but, talking about being knocked out is not all that fun.
I was given an IV. They gave me IV antibiotics to further prevent infection. Then, the anesthesiologist wanted to start my nerve block procedure. I was told I would get happy juice and it was reported to me that most patients don't remember getting the nerve block. I wanted to wait to start the process because I had not talked to the doctor yet. Time ticked by and the anesthesiologist needed to get started on the nerve block, so, they did. Apparently the doctor came in and my husband returned to the room and we all talked...I don't remember a bit of it. The next thing I know, I am waking up from surgery. The nurse asked me about pain and I reported I had pain until a pretty much couldn't feel the pain. Once I was awake enough (and I felt tired and told them I wanted to nap) I was shipped off to another room. I instantly needed to pee and asked to get to the bathroom. Done. I got apple juice and soon I was being shipped out of the hospital. I really could have gone for a nap. I was tired. Partially because I hadn't slept much the night before and probably mostly because of the meds.
I was told the nerve block would last until about 7pm, so, I was to keep up with my oral meds so I wouldn't experience a wall of pain.
I got home and went to sleep. That was a great sleep. I was up by the time my kids got off the bus at 3:30 pm.
I managed to get myself upstairs to bed.
I was very lucky that my nerve block continued to work until nearly 3 pm the next day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment