On January 2nd, we went in for my 20 week diagnostic ultrasound. This is the gender-finding-out ultrasound, unless you have a baby with a personality like ours...you don't get to find out! So, we don't know for sure what the gender of this baby is at this time. The sonographer believes it is a boy, but couldn't get THE clear picture to be able to give us a definite answer. At first the baby was sitting with leds spread eagle, but feet touching in front of the genitals. Then, the baby stretch out it's legs and crossed it's ankles. The sonographer checked many times for us. So, there you have it, we are possibly having another boy.
Most people want to know our reaction to the news. Sean and I really didn't have strong feelings towards one gender or the other. I wanted to find out so I could reset the nursery one way or another. We got what we wanted: a boy first, so we are happy. Now that boy is more likely than girl, I have become attached to having two boys. But, we'll see what happens. We will go in for a "just for fun" 3D ultrasound on our own time and money...away from doctors, insurance and measurements...an ultrasound that really just lets us watch our baby for a little while pre-birth. At that point we will verify the gender. Apparently you get the best pictures when you are 27 wks preggo, so, we will find out the week after Valentine's day. Maybe I will go in on Valentine's day..that could be fun!
I can post about this little gender drama because everything is great. The ultrasound showed a healthy baby growing inside of me. That is the greatest news to hear! They did find a blood vessel that my doctor later described as something like a vericose vein. He said in his early years of practicing, he would have followed up this news with more ultrasounds to watch the progress, but has learned that it is not necessary...he will just make sure everything clears out in the birthing process. I can still have another vaginal delivery. If there is a lot of bleeding post-birth, he may be quicker to do a d&c than with the average situation. My attitude? Better to have vericose veins inside then on my legs AND...as long as this baby comes out healthy-I will go through whatever. Since I have had a D&C (miscarriage-related), I know it is no big deal.
The picture on this post was taken today-21 wks, 3 days. I like where I am at. I have gained about 5 lbs. I am comfortable. I have a cute little bump. I am in no hurry to rush along at this point...I am enjoying life here and now.

1 comment:
beautiful baby belly!
Post a Comment