It so goes downhill from there!
We eat lunch and head over to see a truck that I later learned is specifically named Big Foot. Big Foot was at Firestone for their Grand Opening. We take a pic of the kids in front of it. AND-we had about 40 minutes until Big Foot was going to put on a show. We were doing well on naps, so, I thought we would kill some time in Michael's and check out the show. They had cars there from a dump, so, I knew there would be car smashing. SO COOL. I was EXCITED. I wanted to see that myself. I have been thinking about going to a Monster Truck show.
So, we go to Michael's and I keep checking out the window to make sure we weren't missing anything. We didn't miss any show.
We come back & I move my van because I didn't like the parking spot we had. I was worried I might not get out of it easily. This is the best decision I made ALL DAY. LOL!
We still had 15 minutes until the show, so, I sit us down under a tent for shade. The cars that were to be smushed were right in front of us.
Then-it becomes time. YAY! We are going to see some cars get smushed!
Big Foot fires up his engine. Stephen fires up his fear. He is jumping. I hold him close & tell him to watch. Now Joshua is climbing up me. I hang on to both of them. It's not bad. Then I look. That thing is RIGHT by us. I am pretty sure that thing is going to run right over us. I mean..we were CLOSE. That is LOUD. And it looks so out of control!
So, I get up, I pick up Stephen. I don't know how I didn't hurt his neck with the grip I had around him. I head to stand behind the tow truck that is in place for post show. I think that this will be better. In fact-there is a man sitting in his truck bed. I think "we should ask if we can sit in his truck bed, I bet he will let us." We should watch this....Monster trucks are cool.
Then Big Foot fires up that rocket engine again. Stephen is screaming "I want to leave. I want to get in the car" Honestly, I can't tell you how Joshua was acting. He was in my arms the whole time. I decide the noise is intense & we should get in the car. I start putting them in their carseats and I realize I am SHAKING BADLY. I am scared. My legs are shaking. I am afraid of that thing. The heat of the car is just bearing down on me as that VAROOM-VAROOM of Big Foot rings LOUDLY. SO LOUD. That big truck is bouncing all over the place. He's in the air and we are still too close. Once everyone is in their seats, I want out of there. I am just now out of Mom "calm-everyone" mode and now in sheer panic mode. I start driving and this is the point I realize I can't even think straight. You can not drive when you are scared out of your mind. You can't concentrate on stopping, or whatever other skills you need to drive.
Now I am at this point where Big Foot is driving straight at us! I can't get out of the way because this other woman is madly driving past me. I am also freaking out because I can't find my cell phone. Stephen is asking questions, asking questions, asking questions. I can't find my cell. I am going to have to driveback to find it! I stop, open the back. Joshua has my cell. Oh NO! We are still, what I perceive as, "in a danger zone." If the driver of Big Foot made any little mistake, surely my van was next to be gone. I am purely in survival mode.
Finally I park us in the Michael's parking lot. A full 100 yards away. Maybe 200. Ahhh. I stop and take some pictures. ??? I need SOMETHING for this story. I am a cool boy Mom. I am still shaking. I get back in the car. Two kids sort of crying. "Cool Mom" indeed. On the way home I try to call Sean, my Mom, and some others. Finally Steph Knea answers her phone and I get to talk to an adult that isn't Stephen. I calm. Sean still makes fun of me for the text I sent him. LOL! It had a few curse words in it.
I have no idea what I was expecting. Clearly I didn't think this activity through very well. A truck that drives up on cars probably doesn't do it quietly! Or smoothly. Or gently.
We went back on Sunday after lunch with Sean to see the show again. Face fears. This time we just watch it from the Michael's parking lot the whole time. I know the driver is very skilled, but, it still seems awfully reckless to me. They really let people stand a little too close. But, there was actually a show. This time I was calm enough to watch. He does do different things/tricks. I went to look at the smushed cars closely afterwards. I think it bothers me to see cars smushed. Other people were looking for parts of cars to take home? Is that a monster truck deal? Try to come out with some loot? Whatever...I am not sure we'll pay money for a show ever :-) Well....maybe...if I am in the TOP row.
Pictures:
ahh--cute pic- boys in front of a big truck that is quiet while parked.
Sean says you can't tell how close we were-but-this was one of the first drive-bys we had when we were under the tent. Maybe I was trying so hard to get a pic I didn't really see what was going on?? We are maybe 10 yards from him.
Again, Sean says you can't tell how close we were...but, if you look over the red car in this pic, on the other side of Big Foot, you can see the top of the red tent that we were standing under when the show first started. Blow up this picture by clicking on it. See how out of control that looks? SCARY when RIGHT there!
This message was sent using the Picture and Video Messaging service from Verizon Wireless!
To learn how you can snap pictures and capture videos with your wireless phone visit www.verizonwireless.com/picture.
Note: To play video messages sent to email, QuickTime® 6.5 or higher is required.




4 comments:
That is hysterical! We have yet to do anything Monster Truck. Candi had to take Andrew to see his 1st Monster Truck on a car pool day... You're a cool mom in my book! :)
Oh my gosh, this post is awesome! Patrick loves monster trucks on TV but he hates loud noises. I'm sure he'd be freaking out as soon as Big Foot fired up - and that would be with us already at Michael's. Thanks for sharing the story.
Wowzers!!! I would have been scared too! Way to go for trying to be such a good "boy mom!" Poor Nate is stuck with what Caylie and I like! ;)
oh Amy... your'e too funny! what a memory! : )
Post a Comment