Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Happy Birthday to my big, yet still little boy

Happy Birthday Stephen!

Yesterday was Stephen's birthday. He is now three years old. He has been telling me he would start using the potty when he turned three. He still is saying no today. Shucks.

We had a pretty crazy day yesterday. Joshua cried A LOT. Here's a pic of the boys a few days ago, but, I think it pretty much tells yesterday's story:


We had a small birthday party in the evening. My original idea was to let the inlaws come and spend one on one time with Stephen in his birthday festivities. However, my MIL is out of town watching my niece. But, the idea was in place already and worked out really well because several of our friends cannot make the party on Saturday and were happy to come yesterday. Stephen was thrilled. He did not take a nap and got into hyper overdrive during his party.

Before his party, I reminded him to not snatch toys from his friends. He only did once. I was really afraid because of his lack of nap. He has been really bad about sharing. I also had him practice saying "thank-you" to anyone that said Happy Birthday and saying "3" to anyone that asked him how old he is now. I also had him practice saying thank-you with gifts. I am very proud to report that my shy, non-talking boy did a fabulous job of doing all three of those things immediately when the opportunity arose. He was quite the little gentlemen. He was even hugging people before they left. It's so nice to see him be a little social.

He was very excited about his birthday cake. He got to pick everything out at the grocery store and help me make it. He also blew out all of the candles on his own!!


He opened all of his presents on his own:


And, this morning, first thing, he got right to playing with his new toys. He chose the fishing game that Emma brought him:


Joshua was fantastic through the festivities. He made Mommy happy after all the stress he gave me earlier in the day! He slept through the final minutes in set-up, woke-up happy, let other people hold him, and drank from a bottle. Hopefully he'll do the same on Saturday. I really want to focus on Stephen on Stephen's birthday & want others to be able to do the same. Stephen deserves a lot of happy times. He's had a lot of stress lately & he is trying so hard to help Mommy and be a good big brother.

1 comment:

Sean said...

It was a great birthday party. Thanks to everyone who came!