Saturday, May 31, 2008

One week ago

Joshua is one week old today. Already. Wow.
I find myself with a mixture of emotions.
I miss the good points of pregnancy. Our plan is not to have anymore children, so, I grieve not planning to travel down this road again. I am so happy to be holding my baby, sad that the birth story is done and over.
But-it's just a grieving thing. It's not a depressed thing. I look forward to the future. Mostly, I really, really look forward to joining the triathlon world again. I absolutely can not wait to be competing again. However, everyone needs to be sleeping first!

This is a belly pic that I took right before leaving for the hospital. My waters had been breaking:



I have 6 more pounds to lose to hit my pre-pregnancy weight according to my weigh-in this morning. I intended to take post-partum belly pictures, but, I can only do so much. Here is today's belly pic:


I am posting on this blog & going back and reading some things & realizing everything is a literary mess. I intend to clean things up one day. Perhaps when Stephen starts "school" in the fall.

I feel pretty good. My Mom is here helping. So, I can sleep in in the mornings. I can also stay asleep at naptime if Stephen wakes up fast. That is helping me stay sane. I did choose to skip a nap once and that did make me feel crazy that evening.
Early this week, I was suffering from post-birth contractions that were extremely strong, especially during nursing. I was keeping a good routine with the Motrin and Tylenol 3. Once that ended, I have been pushing through engorged breasts. Hopefully the ladies will understand the routine pretty soon and stop over producing.

Joshua has been a pretty good baby. He has given us a couple of fussy evenings, but for the most part, he has slept and slept and slept. I have been setting my watch timer everytime he eats for 2.5 hours. If he hasn't waken to eat by the time the alarm goes off, I wake him up during the day. I want any longer spacing to be at night, but I haven't had any luck in that regard yet! However, I also haven't had to spend any countless amount of hours awake with him at night.

I think this blog has helped a lot. I have been able to "talk" to so many people and share the experience with them. Thank-you to everyone that has commented and e-mailed. I am just so happy I have friends to share this time with. It makes it so much more special.

My hope for this next week is to get mentally organized. I want to try to become a little more proactive and not reactive. I want a sold routine getting into the car. I need to know how long it takes to get into the car so I have half a chance of being on time to go to places. I need to get my SAHM, super-dooper efficiency on again. Hopefully it won't be a year before I have my groove back!

I have not been able to post much here, e-mail people as much, call anyone, or sort through many of the pictures. All of these things usually happen during Stephen's nap...but...I have been using that time to nap myself, so, nothing gets done. Oh well.

I will say that I am cold today. I might actually turn the AC up a little. Wow. I was never cold when nursing Stephen. Not once. Maybe it'll be different this time. That will save us some money in electricity!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Amy,

Haven't had a chance to comment until now, but congratulations! I'm sure I'll see you at a tri soon enough. :)

Sara said...

You are doing a beautiful job! The new routines will come in time. Snuggle that little baby as much as you can!!! I'm so proud of you for sleeping while your mom is here to help. I never really did that and should have! Can't wait to see you and the boys again. I've so enjoyed your blog! Thinking of you... :)